Summer is on its way, which means that we have to prepare something to welcome it. We chose this low-carb dessert with walnuts and lemon.
Lemon is a perfectly refreshing fruit that is best accompanied by the warm weather In addition to being tasty, lemons are a great source of vitamin C, which is needed for the synthesis of neurotransmitters, which boost your mood and promote brain cell communication.
Lemons also promote healing, aid in collagen production, and fight UV-induced skin damage (*). Along with vitamin C, lemons and citrus fruits provide a good source of B vitamins, potassium, magnesium, copper, phosphorus, and fiber.
Research shows that citrus fruits are full of natural metabolites, such as flavonoids, coumarins, alkaloids, limonoids, carotenoids, essential oils, and phenolic acids, that contain anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, anticancer, cardioprotective, and neuroprotective benefits (*).
They can also be used to boost immune health due to their antimicrobial and detoxifying properties, and fight obesity and diabetes with their fiber content.
Our Low-carb Lemon Lush recipe has three different layers covered with whipping cream. The flavor of the fresh lemons is going to wake up all your senses. You may feel like eating the entire dessert at once.
This cake requires your patience. You have to wait for a while until it’s ready and nicely thickened. But you are going to forget the time when you taste one delicious creamy piece. Enjoy baking!
Line an 8-inch cake pan with parchment paper and set aside.
Melt the butter then pour it into the mixing bowl. Add in cocoa powder, sweetener, and almond flour (see blanched vs unblanched almond flour difference).
Mix well then continue to knead with your hands. It is going to be sticky but still fine for flattening.
Transfer the crust mixture into the prepared pan and flatten it with a spoon.
Put it in the refrigerator until all layers are ready to assemble.
We are going to make the lemon-walnut layer next because it needs more time to cool completely.
In a medium-size mixing bowl, mix butter and sweetener. Use an electric mixer to beat until soft and creamy. Add in eggs, one at a time, then add in egg yolks. The mixture is going to look like a liquid, but here comes the next step.
Put the mixture in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir constantly with a spatula until it begins to thicken and look like a pudding.
Remove from heat then pour in lemon juice, xanthan gum, and chopped walnuts. Whisk and set aside to cool completely.
For the cream cheese layer, beat cream cheese with sour cream. Adjust the sweetness by adding stevia or powdered erythritol.
We are going to assemble cake layers next.
Take the crust from the refrigerator and spread the cream cheese layer over it. Flatten it with a spoon into a very thin layer.
Top the cream cheese layer with completely cooled lemon-walnut layer and smooth it out.
Lastly, make the whipped cream layer. Beat whipping cream with sweetener. You can add in vanilla or lemon extract as well.
Spread over the lemon-walnut layer, and your cake is ready. Chill it for one or two hours before eating. Cut into 8 or 10 pieces and enjoy refreshing lemon taste.
Low Carb Lemon Lush
For the lemon-walnuts layer
- Prepare an 8-inch cake pan. Line with parchment paper and set aside.
- For the crust: Melt the butter then mix it with almond flour, sweetener, and cocoa powder. Spread the mixture over the bottom on the lined pan and flatten it with a spoon. Put it in the refrigerator.
- For the lemon-walnut layer: In another bowl, cream butter with sweetener then mix in two eggs, one at a time. Beat with an electric mixer. Add in two egg yolks and beat everything one more time. Pour the mixture in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir constantly using a spatula until it begins to thicken and looks like pudding. Remove from the heat and add in lemon juice, xanthan gum, and chopped walnuts. Mix well and set aside to cool completely.
- For the cream cheese layer: Beat cream cheese with sour cream and sweetener in another bowl.
- Assembling the cake: Take the crust from the refrigerator and top with the cream cheese layer. Flatten into a thin layer using a spoon. If the lemon-walnut layer is cooled completely, spread over the cream cheese layer. Make sure to cover the whole cake.
- Make whipping cream filling: Beat whipping cream and sweetener. Spread over the walnut-lemon layer.
- Refrigerate the cake at least one or two hours before serving. Cut into 8 or 10 pieces and enjoy.
More keto lemon desserts you can try: