A crispy flaky cover and a juicy interior is what we imagine when we hear “Kentucky Fried Chicken!” Well, get your mind ready to be blown away with a recipe that is not only low carb and keto friendly, but a crispy chicken tenders recipe that’s even better than the KFC’s.
With little tweaks, you will be able to recreate a classic recipe that will satisfy your savoury cravings, without having to consume 9g of net carbs for every piece of chicken tender.
Looking for more keto recipes and diet tips?
Fresh and Tasty Keto Bread
Join our newsletter today and we'll email you 10 easy and delicious keto bread recipes plus weekly keto recipes and diet hacks to help you achieve your goal faster!
So, how is that possible? The secret isn’t in the kind of flour you use, but with a keto friendly protein powder and let me tell you why. Protein powders have the tendency to stick really well to the chicken and as the oil is heated up for frying, it will give a super crunchy texture to the tenders, making it as good as the real deal, if not better.
Choosing the protein powder is major in this step, there are different aspects you need to be checking when on a keto diet, other than the carbohydrates content. So all you have to do is to take a look at the ingredients list and nutritional information, usually on the back of the container.
Make sure it does not contain any artificial ingredients, fillers, additives and added sugars; unflavored protein powder from a well-known brand is what you’ll need to be looking for.
For this recipe we’ll be using coconut oil for frying, you may prefer to use avocado oil instead, feel free to use any alternative as long as its keto friendly! We chose to use coconut oil as it is considered to be one of the healthy saturated fats and has lots of health benefits.
Another tip you need to consider is the oil temperature; make sure the oil is on moderate heat as high temperatures could burn the protein powder used.
Follow these steps not only to prepare chicken, but for fish or any kind of meat as well!
Prepare the recipe’s ingredients.
Slice the chicken breasts and season with crushed garlic, hot chili sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
Whip the eggs in a separate bowl with some salt and pepper. Also, in a plastic container with an air-tight cap, extend half of the protein powder, season with salt, pepper and celery salt.
Next, immerse the chicken in eggs, then put into the plastic container and shake vigorously until the chicken is covered.
Fry in oil on a moderate heat until it turns golden, usually for 2-3 minutes.
Allow to drain the excess oil on a paper towel and serve!
More Low Carb Chicken Recipes You Can Try:
- Cheesy Chicken Fritters
- Chicken Avocado Quesadilla with Cheese Shell
- Crispy Baked Coconut Chicken Tenders
Keto Fried Chicken Tenders
- Cut the chicken breasts in small strips. Season with minced garlic, hot chili sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
- Whip the eggs in a bowl, add more salt and pepper. Immerse the chicken pieces in this mixture.
- In a plastic container with an air-tight cap, use half of the protein powder, season with salt, pepper and celery salt, consider the fact that you have already added salt to the chicken and make sure it doesn’t get very salty.
- Place the chicken into the plastic container, cover with the lid and shake vigorously until the chicken fillets are totally covered with protein powder. Remove the coated chicken pieces and place them on a cutting board ready for frying. Repeat this procedure until all chicken pieces are coated with the remaining protein powder.
- Put coconut oil in a frying pan over medium heat. When the oil is hot, gently add a few chicken pieces in to fry. Make sure to keep a space between each piece.
- Once it becomes golden, turn over to cook the other side. Remove and place on a dish with a paper towel to dry off the oil. Repeat the process until all chicken is cooked.
- Serve with your favorite keto-friendly sauce and some low-carb veggies such as celery, cucumber, etc. Enjoy!