If you need something healthy and easy to make, but still tasty, you are in the right place. We share with you one keto meal that you can make for lunch or dinner. Put it in a food box with some veggies, and your lunch on the go is ready.
Keto quesadilla is a very nutritious meal made from healthy fats and proteins. The tortilla is made from cheese. It’s a combination of gouda and white cheddar. Feel free to use some other cheese you like the most. For the filling, you need chicken, avocado, spices, and olive oil.
Cheddar and gouda are full-fat dairy products. They are good sources of proteins that have a positive effect on glucose metabolism and insulin action. (1)
Although they are rich in cholesterol, sodium and saturated fats which are previously associated with negative effects on human health, there is some evidence with different conclusions. (2)
Avocados have very good nutritional characteristics. It is popular for its high vitamin E amount and some phytochemicals. (3)
Also, it has magnesium, vitamin B6, vitamin K, and niacin. The avocado oil contains healthy fats such as monounsaturated and polyunsaturated which promote a healthy lipid profile. This high-fat content allows a better absorption of fat-soluble vitamins from other low-fat fruits or veggies which are consumed with avocado. (4)
Chicken is an important source of protein. The most popular used part of chicken is chicken breast and thighs which you can make many dishes out of it. Zinc, magnesium, and riboflavin are some of the nutrients it contains. (5)
Chicken is zero carb so it fits perfectly with the keto diet. When it comes to quality, always try to find free range pastured chicken because they have a better nutritional profile.
Now it’s your turn to try this meal and tell us how you like it.
Preheat the oven to 400F. Line your baking tray with parchment paper and leave it on the counter.
Grate your cheeses and mix them in a bowl. Spread the mixture over the parchment paper to form a round shape. Try to make it compact without holes. Put it in the oven for 6 minutes until it is melted and golden around the edge.
When it’s finally done, take it from the oven and leave it for a while. Pour off if there is any extra oil.
Cut the chicken into pieces and stir-fry with olive oil over medium-high heat and season with salt, curry powder, and onion powder.
Transfer cooked chicken in a blender. Add avocado slices in. Blend until everything is well combined. You can also add one tbsp of cream cheese to make it even more creamy.
Place the chicken mixture over half of the cheese tortilla.
With the help of a parchment paper that contains tortilla, fold one side without the filling over the other. Press lightly to close the tortilla.
Return to the oven to heat, 2-3 minutes more.
Cut your keto quesadilla into quarters. Serve with some veggies and tomato sauce. Enjoy!
Keto Chicken Avocado Quesadilla
- ¾ cup gouda cheese grated
- 1/3 cup cheddar cheese grated
For the cheese shell:
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Mix your grated cheeses in a big bowl and spread the cheese mixture over the parchment paper to form a circular shape. Bake for 6 minutes. Set a timer to make sure you don’t burn it.
For the fillings:
- In the meantime, cook the chicken in a pan with olive oil over medium heat. Add salt, curry powder and onion powder to taste.
- Once the chicken is cooked, add to a blender with avocado. Blend until everything is well mixed. Alternatively, you can shred the chicken by hand and mash it with avocado. You can also use leftover cooked chicken for the filling instead of cooking it from scratch.
- Place avocado-chicken filling over one half of the tortilla. Using a parchment paper gently lift and fold one side over the side with the filling.
- Put back in the oven for 2 -3 minutes more. Cut and enjoy.