No matter what diet you are following, sweets are a sore spot, we all crave them and want to enjoy them guiltlessly, without ruining all the effort we’ve put maintaining our diet. The ketogenic diet, has become quite popular recently, it basically relies on a low carbohydrate intake while encouraging high fat meals. Different studies proved that this combo promotes weight loss and its beneficial in diabetes and certain types of cancers.
With a diet that calls for limiting carbs intake, enjoying sweet treats is absolutely a very challenging part especially that even sugar-free foods are not a good alternative since they are high in sugar alcohols which will impact the ketone levels.
Are you wondering how will you be able to enjoy your favourite desserts when on a ketogenic diet? Surprisingly, it is still possible to enjoy chocolate. Actually, cocoa, the so-called “superfruit” is as rich as blueberries and acai berries, with antioxidants. Flavanols, which is beneficial to the circulatory system is also found in dark chocolates. However, it is important to make sure that the dark chocolate has at least 70% cocoa solid, or else it wouldn’t have any added benefit.
So chocolate lovers, finally there is a way to indulge in your favourite “chocolaty” desserts while maintaining your diet. And do you know what’s even better? Well, kicking a recipe up a health notch with 2 other superfoods that are of major benefit to the immune and nervous system: walnut and orange. Alternatively, you can choose to replace the fillings with peanuts, almonds, hazelnuts, berries and even the orange zests.
Now, think no longer and try this delight, with a dark side that never tasted as sweet.
Prepare the ingredients and equipment.
Melt the small chocolate pieces in the microwave for 5-10 minutes, repeat as needed. You can use the Bain-Marie method alternatively.
Cut the orange zest, walnuts and peanuts in small pieces using a sharp knife into small pieces. Mix with a spoonful of rum.
Add the sweetener, cinnamon powder and nutmeg and mix them well.
Pour into the silicone molds, refrigerate for 20 minutes.
Un-mold the fat bombs and serve!
Keto Walnut Chocolate Fat Bombs
- One silicone fat bomb mold.
- 1 ½ cup dark chocolate small pieces (Bar 85% Cocoa Extra Dark Chocolate)
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 4 tbsp erythritol or any keto sweetener
- ¼ cup Walnuts chopped
- ¼ cup Peanuts chopped
- 2 tbsp orange zest or lemon zest if preferred
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp Rum optional, for extra flavor
- With the help of a chopping board and a sharp knife, cut thin pieces of the orange zest, walnuts and peanuts in small pieces, the smaller the better. You can use a food processor too. Mix them in a bowl. You can also add a spoonful of rum (optional). Reserve.
- Melt chocolate and coconut oil in the microwave for about 5 to 10 seconds. A portion of the chocolate will start to melt, remove it from the microwave oven and stir it gently with a spoon and put it back in the microwave oven for another 5 seconds. Repeat this as many times as deemed necessary. Also, you can use a Bain-Marie (or a double boiler) to melt the chocolate if necessary.
- When all of the chocolate and coconut oil is finally melted, add the sweetener, cinnamon powder and nutmeg and mix them well.
- Add the nut mixture (walnuts and peanuts) to the melted chocolate and mix them well.
- Finally, when the mixture is well integrated, pour it in each silicone fat bomb mold to fill them up completely.
- Refrigerate for about 20 minutes and unmold. Serve and store the rest in the fridge for next use.