Empanada is a popular baked food in Argentina and other parts of the world. It is crispy on the edges and nicely soft on the inside.
The traditional empanadas are made from flour pastry which is very high in carbohydrate. For our keto version, we will use a low-carb fathead dough instead.
Looking for more keto recipes and diet tips?
Fresh and Tasty Keto Bread
Join our newsletter today and we'll email you 10 easy and delicious keto bread recipes plus weekly keto recipes and diet hacks to help you achieve your goal faster!
Our keto beef empanadas with mustard and curry flavor will be your favorite dish.It’s low in carbs and great for meal prepping for those busy days.
So many cultures around the world have amazing dishes that you can’t wait to try. Nobody can resist the smell of the baked pastry when it comes out from the oven.
Low carb empanadas are made by wrapping the fillings inside fathead dough pastry. The fillings are made by browning ground beef with curry, mustard and seasoning.
The cream cheese gives them a beautiful texture. The mustard is here to fulfill the flavor while the curry powder does its own thing. If you are a fan of spicy food, it would be perfect to add some hot chili sauce into the filling.
We hope you enjoy it!
Preheat the oven to 425F.
Heat coconut oil in a frying pan. Add in the chopped onion. Cook until the onion becomes soft then add in ground beef. Season with salt and pepper. When the beef is browned, add in mustard, cream cheese, and curry powder. Lower the heat and mix everything with a spatula. Set aside while making fathead dough.
Place mozzarella and cream cheese in a bowl and microwave for 2 minutes. Take out and stir, then put it back in the microwave for one more minute.
Add in egg, almond flour, coconut flour, and salt. Combine well until the dough becomes elastic for shaping. Divide the dough into four balls.
Place one dough ball on the parchment paper and cover it with another piece of parchment paper on top. Roll it flat into a circle with a rolling pin.
Place 2 spoons of meat mixture into one half on the circle.
Fold the other half over. Press the edges with a fork to close them. Repeat the process with remaining pastry balls and beef fillings.
Place empanadas on the parchment paper and bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Make sure not to overbake. The edges should be nicely golden.
Serve them warm with veggies on the side. Enjoy!
Keto Beef Empanadas
For the fathead dough
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Heat coconut oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onion in then cook for a while then add in ground beef. Season with salt and pepper. When the meat is browned, add cream cheese, mustard, and curry powder. Combine everything then remove from heat and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine mozzarella and cream cheese. Melt it in the microwave for 2 minutes. Stir with a spoon then put it back in the microwave for 30 seconds to 1 more minute.
- Add egg, almond flour, coconut flour and a pinch of salt in the bowl of cheese. Mix well, then use your hand to knead the dough until they are easy to shape. Divide the dough into four small balls.
- Place one ball on the parchment paper, then cover it with one more piece of parchment paper. Roll it flat into a circle.
- Uncover the dough then place the meat mixture on one half of the circle. Cover with the other half then press the edges with a fork to close it.
- Do the same with the remaining three pastry balls and fillings.
- Place your empanadas on the parchment paper and bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Once it becomes golden, remove from the oven. Serve and enjoy!
Similar Low Carb Recipes with Fat Head Dough You Can Make: