This recipe for Pay de Coco is so practical that you can prepare it in minutes using your blender to mix the ingredients. It is perfect for coconut lovers or anyone who wants to enjoy a treat without the guilt.
Traditional pie recipes use a flour-based crust. These are not allowed on a low-carb diet because they contain too many carbs.
Pie crusts that are made of enriched flour are also highly inflammatory. For this recipe, we swap traditional flour for almond flour and coconut flour. Both flours are low in carbs, high in fiber, and contain lots of healthy fats that are perfect for your ketogenic diet.
Our crust recipe also contains shredded coconut, eggs, butter, and cinnamon. Make sure you buy the unsweetened version of shredded coconut. Many grocery stores contain sweetened shredded coconut, and this contains too much sugar for a keto diet.
For the filling, we use unsweetened jelly, coconut milk, shredded coconut, sour cream, and cream cheese. You can also add in the keto-approved sweetener of your choice.
This recipe is plenty sweet without sweetener, thanks to the jelly. Just make sure you use unsweetened jelly because many store bought brands contain sugar. Because of this, you can reduce the amount of sweetener you add in if you’d like.
Coconut doesn’t just taste good. It’s also a superfood. Research shows that coconut contains anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, and antibacterial properties. It’s also full of fiber and healthy fats that have been shown to reduce inflammation, curb hunger, control blood sugar levels, and keep you slim.
You can make this pie ahead of time and keep it in the refrigerator when you have company over. Your guests won’t know that it’s gluten free, low carb, and helps protect against the formation of chronic diseases!
Prepare the ingredients.
Start by making the crust. Combine the almond and coconut flours, with the sweetener, salt, shredded coconut and cinnamon in a bowl. Mix together and then add the eggs and melted butter. Then use a spatula to combine the ingredients until the form a breadcrumb-like batter.
Add the mixture to a greased pie pan and use your fingers to press the batter into the pan to form a crust. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes at 300 degrees until crust is golden brown.
Next, make the filling. Add the egg yolks, coconut milk, vanilla extract, and the sweetener to a blender and blend. Then add the gelatin, xanthan gum, sour cream and cream cheese. Beat until creamy.
Put the filling mixture into a pot and cook for eight minutes. Be careful not to boil the mixture. Add a few tablespoon of water if needed for consistency.
Let the mixture cool completely and then add to the pie crust and top with coconut pieces. Let the pie set in the fridge until it’s firm before serving.
Keto Coconut Cream Pie
- In a bowl, combine all the solid ingredients for the crust: the almond flour, coconut flour, the sweetener powder, salt, grated coconut and cinnamon.
- When all the ingredients are well integrated, add the beaten eggs and melted butter. Mix with a spatula until you have a mixture similar to breadcrumbs.
- Preheat the oven to 300°F and grease a pie pan. Place the mixture in the mold and crush gently with your hands until the mold is completely covered.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the dough is perfectly browned.
- Next, make the filling. In the blender, mix the egg yolks and the coconut milk, vanilla extract, and the sweetener.
- Add the gelatin, xanthan gum, sour cream and cream cheese. Beat for 2 minutes until creamy.
- Put this mixture in a pot over medium low heat for approximately 8 minutes without boiling. Add some water if needed. Remove and let cool.
- When the mixture is cold, pour it on the crust and refrigerate it for 4 hours.
- You can decorate with pieces of shredded coconut. We use thinly sliced coconut meat from raw coconuts.