Most people like to receive a basket of flowers on special occasions. But if you’re on the keto diet, then you love nothing more than getting a bacon basket as a treat!
Bacon basket is an ingenious way to combine bacon and avocado. They work as an appetizer like a fat bomb.
This recipe is crispy and looks great. Making the baskets is a little laborious but the result is worth it. We combine our baskets with chicken, but you can use ground beef or even crushed hard-boiled eggs.
Look for bacon that comes from clean sources. We recommend using a brand that does not contain antibiotics, hormones, sugar or nitrates.
Processed meats tend to contain sugar and other flavoring to enhance the flavor and keep them “fresh” longer. So be sure to check out the ingredients label on anything you buy.
The bacon is what you’ll use to make the baskets with, which is why we recommend going with thick sliced brands.
Once you create the baskets, you’ll fill it with all kinds of keto goodies, such as shredded chicken, sour cream, onion, avocado, and lemon juice.
You can get creative and add other goodies as well, such as low-carb vegetables, different spices, and cheese.
These bacon baskets can be served for breakfast or as a snack throughout the day. They are portable, so they would also make good finger foods or appetizers.
Kids will even love them because they can pick them up with their fingers and eat them!
To make, start by preparing the baskets. Turn a cupcake tray upside down and cover each spot with slices of aluminum foil.
Cut the bacon slices in half and lay them on the aluminum foil until you form a basket. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes on low heat until the baskets are set. Remove from the oven and let cool.
While the bacon is cooking in the oven, start preparing the filling. Mash the avocado in a bowl. Add cooked shredded chicken, sour cream, and seasoning ingredients. Mix until well combined.
When the baskets are cool, remove them from the tray and fill them with the mixture. Serve warm!
Avocado Chicken Bacon Baskets
- Aluminum foil and cupcakes tray
- To make the baskets, you will need a tray of cupcake tins and aluminum foil. Cut the aluminum foil into 6 pieces of similar size. Turn the cupcake mold upside down. On the convex side, cover with aluminum foil as shown in the photograph.
- Cut the stripes of bacon in half and cover each mold with three strips and try to form a basket. Bake at low heat (about 250°F) for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mash the avocado. Add cooked chicken, onion, lemon juice and sour cream, mix well then add the rest of the ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the tray from the oven and let cool and unmold the baskets. Place the baskets on a plate and fill with the chicken and avocado mixture. You can place some coriander on top.