This is a basic cake recipe. It’s very simple to prepare and quite cheap. You can find the ingredients in most grocery stores. It is perfect for the keto and gluten-free diets. The decoration and fillings can be as varied as your imagination allows.
This is a perfect dessert to serve at your next party and no one will know it’s low-carb! The combination of almond flour and coconut flour is a match made in heaven. Using equal parts of each type of flour will make the texture of your baked goods turn out perfect every time.
The problem with traditional cake mixes is that they contain enriched white or wheat flour. These flours are highly inflammatory and contain too many carbohydrates to be consumed on the keto diet.
Almond and coconut flours aren’t just low-carb and gluten-free. They also provide a good source of healthy, anti-inflammatory fats.
This cake recipe is light, airy and delicious. You can use any keto-approved sweetener you have on hand. Examples include stevia, monk fruit and erythritol. You can also use a combination of two sweeteners for a sweeter taste.
This cake recipe calls for eight eggs and we recommend buying the kind that is organic and pasture-raised. This means that the eggs will contain more healthy fats and other important nutrients. Most pasture-raised brands of eggs do not contain hormones, pesticides or antibiotics either.
You can change up this recipe by topping it with your favorite low-carb toppings. We suggest using lard, cream cheese and keto sweetener for a perfect final touch. You can also serve it with berries.
It makes a great dessert to serve after dinner with a cup of coffee or you can even enjoy it as a mid-morning snack in between meals. Just be sure to watch your intake of berries if you’re trying to stay in ketosis!
Prepare the needed ingredients.
Start by separating the egg yolk from the egg whites. Beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Let them sit and firm, then add the cream of tartar and mix gently.
In another bowl, mix together the flour, sweetener, lemon zest and baking powder.
Use a mixer to mix the egg yolks and melted butter.
Gradually add the flour mixture until they are well incorporated.
The last step is to gently fold in the egg whites to the rest of the mixture. Pour into a greased sponge cake mold and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
Prepare the topping by mixing together all ingredients. Drizzle over the cake and serve hot or cold!
Keto Sponge Cake
- 8 eggs large
- ½ tsp tartar cream
- ¼ cup butter melted
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup xylitol or erythritol
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup cream cheese
- ¼ cup stevia sweetener
- Raspberry for decoration, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Separate the egg yolk. Beat the egg whites until they form peaks. When they are firm, add the tartar cream, mix it and reserve in another bowl.
- In a medium bowl, mix the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, lemon zest and the sweetener.
- Meanwhile, mix the egg yolks and melted butter in a mixer and gradually add the flour mixture in and mix well.
- Finally, use a spoon to fold the egg whites in. Try not to stir too much so that the cake does not lose volume.
- Grease the mold and bake for 30 minutes or until the cake is browned.
- To do the topping, mix all the ingredients in the mixer and cover the cake with the topping when the cake is cold. You can add berries to decorate.