For a lunch or for a dinner with a big bowl of fresh salad, Calzones are one of the recipes you should give a try to taste its chewy texture. They are made first in Italy which is one of the most popular countries for different pizza flavors.
Also, they were designed for eating with hands only and as time passed by they became popular in all parts of the world. We are bringing the Italian recipe today by making calzones on our keto way.
We prepare Keto calzone with fathead dough which is a great substitution for the regular wheat dough. It is low carb with a texture that melts in your mouth.
For the filling, we use hot sausage cut into tiny pieces, but you can make it with some other sausage instead if you are not a fan of hot spices.
With oregano, tomato sauce and bacon combined filling it tastes almost like a pizza. You can do your own thing here and make it however you like.
When it comes to baking, the important thing here is to press edges with a fork to make sure it’s nicely closed and ready for baking.
The recipe makes one big fathead dough, but you can get three or four small hot pockets instead. Top them with more tomato sauce and mozzarella and your perfect folded pizzas are ready.
The good stuff of Keto calzones is that they are gluten-free, and sugar-free. Your family is going to love them as we do. Try to make the whole baking process as much fun as you can.
Shape the dough differently and put the different filling into each. Enjoy every part of the process. You are eating healthy and you don’t have to worry about calories.
Let’s make this keto dish!
Preheat the oven to 375F.
In a big bowl combine shredded mozzarella cheese, flaxseed, coconut flour, egg yolks and cream cheese with an electric mixer. Add in salt and pepper and mix again.
Then knead the dough using your hands until the coconut flour completely works.
Put the dough on a parchment paper.
Cover it with one more parchment paper and roll it between them into a circle.
Try to make that circle ultra-thin.
Uncover the dough, so you can put the filling.
For the filling, use one small bowl to mix tomato sauce and cream cheese.
Spread that mix on one side of the dough. Add bacon and sausage and top with oregano.
Fold the paper with the empty side of the circle over the other. Make sure the edges perfectly match. Press them with a fork.
Put it in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until the edges are baked.
Once baked, serve it with tomato sauce and enjoy it.
For the fathead dough
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 2 tsp flaxseed
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 oz cream cheese full fat
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 oz cream cheese full fat
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- ¼ cup hot sausage or ham
- 1 slice bacon chopped
- 1/3 tsp Oregano
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a big mixing bowl combine all ingredients for the fathead dough. Use an electric mixer for easier mixing then kneading it with your hands. Form the dough into a ball shape and transfer it onto the parchment paper.
- Cover the dough with one more paper layer and roll it flat and evenly. Shape it into a circular shape as thin as you can.
- Uncover the dough and put the filling in. In one small bowl, combine tomato sauce and cream cheese. Use a spoon or a spatula to put this mixture on one side of the dough. Next, add chopped bacon and sausage (or ham) and then top with oregano.
- Zip the dough to form the calzone shape by folding the dough over and press the edges firmly. Poke with a fork to make a few small holes so the pastry can be baked evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until it's golden and cooked. Enjoy!