If you’re trying to stick to your keto diet and eat healthy to you lose weight, this recipe is for you! Following a keto diet means giving up on some high carb comfort food, but with few tweaks in the ingredients, you can still enjoy your favorite meals guilelessly. If you’re craving the classic Italian lasagna dish, follow our steps to prepare a low-carb lasagna using cabbage.
People think that keto cooking can become boring at some point, but that is just far from the real truth. There are many ways in which you can cook low-carb meals when going keto.
How do we make low-carb lasagna? By eliminating lasagna sheets and flour from the classic recipe, we will end up with keto-friendly ingredients: the meat sauce and cheeses. We chose to replace the lasagna sheets with cabbage. Alternatively, you can slice some zucchini to make noodles and use them instead.
There are countless low-carb vegetable options that we can enjoy while on a keto diet, and cabbage is one of them. It has a neutral taste and is incredibly versatile. You can stir fry it or even wrap it with ground beef as we are doing today.
In this recipe we’ll be using the green cabbage as an alternative to lasagna sheets since it is more tender than the red one. In every 100 grams of green cabbage, there are 27 calories and 5 grams of carbohydrates. Also, it has 2 grams of fiber, bringing the net carb count down to just 3 grams, which is great! (1)
Don’t miss out on this potential ingredient; you can cook it in multiple ways and create endless recipes. Why not try roasting it, or even use it to create egg rolls!
The mix of Italian flavors of the following recipe will help you make that lunch meal more enjoyable. Just give it a try and prepare it for yourself or your family; even those who don’t know about keto diet will love it. Let’s get started!
Place the cabbage leaves in a cooking pot filled with boiling water and cook for 7-10 minutes to soften it. Once done, drain the water off.
We make the fillings by sauteing ground beef in olive oil with garlic and onion and season with salt, pepper and dried basil. You can saute mushroom in the same pan with ground beef or in a separate pan. It’s up to you.
To make the cabbage rolls, place a leaf on a plate and fill it with ground beef and mushroom. Roll over and repeat the process with the remaining ingredients.
Serve with marinara sauce and cilantro on top. If you want to make this cheesy, add these rolls in a baking dish then top with cheese and bake in the oven for 5 minutes to melt it.
Keto Lasagna Cabbage Rolls
- 3 cups water
- 8 cabbage leaves thin leaves
- Put 2 cups water in a cooking pot and bring it to boil. Place the cabbage leaves in and cook for 7-10 minutes to soften it. After that, drain the water off.
- In the meantime, prepare the fillings. In a frying pan over medium-high heat, add olive oil in then add garlic and onion. Saute until the garlic and onion become soft and smell good. Add ground beef in and saute until cooked. Season with dried basil, salt and pepper. You can add mushroom in the same pan and cook together with the beef, or you can saute the mushroom with olive oil separately.
- To make the cabbage rolls, take one cabbage leaf and fill it with ground beef and mushrooms. Fold it to make sure that the filling won’t come out. Repeat this step with the remaining cabbage leaves.
- Serve with fresh cilantro leaves and marinara sauce on top and enjoy.