One of the dishes that you shouldn’t miss out especially if you’re newly following a ketogenic diet is this jalapeno popper soup. You will fall in love with how rich and creamy it is and will definitely make it to your weekly, budget friendly staple meals list. With easy and simple steps to follow and a little bit of your time, you can get the best of both worlds – soup and appetizer in one preparation.
Adjusting the heat in this recipe is totally controllable, if you prefer a spicier taste, you can use more jalapenos. Also, it’s up to you if you’d like to mix your favourite cheeses, either way you’ll get a hearty, cheesy and a filling dish to indulge in, specially in those cold and windy nights.
In our recipe, we used chicken breasts but you can definitely choose to amp up the flavours by using turkey or other types of meat instead. Or you can use more bacon as the main meat.
Well, it is pretty much guaranteed that any dish with bacon would be a hit. Not only keto dieters will enjoy this soup, but the whole family will be impressed and especially kids but watch out on the heat from the jalapenos.
You can adapt your recipe to your busy schedule and prepare it using a slow cooker or instant pot if you like to.
As keto dieters we know that the ketosis state has a diuretic effect on our bodies, this keto jalapeno popper soup is a very good option to reduce the discomforts and keep yourself hydrated.
We lose a good amount of water and electrolytes during the first weeks of the diet. To avoid this, it is necessary to stay hydrated and eat a little bit more salt. Bone broth is recommended to boost your electrolytes level, along with gaining the benefits of collagen from this super food.
Prepare the ingredients for your soup.
Melt the butter in a soup pot then stir fry the onion, green onion and bacon until it’s cooked.
Next, add the chicken broth in then add shredded chicken (cooked) and jalapeno slices. Bring the liquid to boil.
Add heavy cream and cheese in and season with salt and pepper. Once the cheese is melted, turn off the heat and transfer to a bowl.
Decorate with some crispy bacon bits and avocado slices if preferred and serve hot.
Keto Jalapeno Popper Chicken Soup
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 slices bacon chopped into small pieces
- ¼ cup onion thinly cut
- 1 tbsp green onions chopped, optional
- 3 cups chicken broth or water
- 1-2 jalapeno cut in thin slices
- 2 cup chicken breast cooked and shredded
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup cream cheese
- ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- bacon crispy fried, cut into small pieces
- avocado sliced
- Melt the butter in a soup pot over medium heat then add onion, green onion and chopped bacon (raw) in and stir fry for 5 minutes until the bacon is cooked.
- Add chicken broth in then add shredded cooked chicken and sliced jalapeno in. Bring to boil.
- Add heavy cream, cream cheese, and cheddar cheese in. Stir well and season with salt and pepper. Once the cheese is melted, turn off the heat and serve in a bowl.
- You can top with crispy fried bacon bits and avocado slices if desired.