How many of you have a sweet tooth weakness? Well, many of us are ready to give up bread and even rice on a keto diet, but what about a hearty chocolate snack? If you’re a coconut and chocolate lover, then we assure you that these coconut fat bombs are absolutely a win-hands down!
For many years, we’ve been told to avoid fat as much as possible, but studies have shown that incorporating healthy fats in our diet keeps us healthy and sustained throughout the day.
Coconut oil has different antiviral, antibacterial and antimicrobial benefits for the body and the brain, a result of the lauric acid it contains. Other than that, the medium chain fatty acids in coconut oil help improve your insulin sensitivity, metabolism and might even aid in weight loss. Moreover, coconut oil keeps us satisfied and full, in contrary to those desserts that are packed with refined sugar. (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Every time we prepare fat bombs, we like to use our silicone mold. It’s a perfect and a hassle-free way to make bite-sized portions. If you don’t have it, you can still make this recipe and prepare the entire batter in a rectangular piece and then cut them into smaller pieces.
Our absolute favourite keto-friendly sweetener is powdered erythritol because we can replace sugar on a 1:1 ratio, but if you like to use monk fruit or even stevia, just go ahead, they also work great!
Whether you like to call those low carb and sugar-free sweet treats, keto bombs, fat-bombs or even energy bites, get them prepared in 15 minutes and enjoy them for up to 2 weeks stored in an air-tight container in your refrigerator or fridge.
Prepare the ingredients.
Optional step: Bake the shredded coconut in the preheated 150 °C (300 F) oven for 5 minutes until golden to increase the flavor and texture if desired.
Using a food processor or a bowl, mix desiccated coconut with melted butter, melted coconut oil, cinnamon, salt, and keto sweetener.
Distribute this coconut mixture into a silicone mold and refrigerate for 1/2 hour to form.
Melt the chocolate using the microwave or the “Bain-Marie” technique. Mix chocolate with sweetener.
Finally, remove the coconut fat bombs from the silicone mold and cover them one by one with chocolate.
Refrigerate the chocolate covered coconut bites for half an hour and serve.
Keto Coconut Fat Bombs
- Preheat the oven to 300F and cover a baking sheet with waxed paper. Spread the shredded coconut on the tray and bring to the oven for 5 minutes until it becomes a little bit golden. This gives it a great fragrance and texture. Be careful and keep an eye on it to avoid burning. If you prefer fresh desiccated coconut, feel free to skip this step.
- In a bowl or a food processor, add desiccated coconut, coconut oil, butter, cinnamon, salt, and half of the sweetener. Mix until well incorporated. If you don't want to use butter, simply double the amount of coconut oil.
- Put this coconut mixture into a silicone mold to form the "fat bombs shapes". Refrigerate for 30 minutes to solidify these pieces.
- In the meantime, melt the chocolate in a bowl using a microwave or hot water bath. Mix the remaining sweetener with chocolate.
- Remove the coconut pieces from the silicone mold then carefully dip each piece in the chocolate mixture to fully cover it.
- Place these chocolate fat bombs in a container and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes. Serve and enjoy. Store the remaining in the fridge for later use.