Experts indicate that one of the fundamental elements to succeed on a diet is to add a variety of different foods. But all of us who have made the switch to the ketogenic diet know that our variety of vegetables tends to be very small, so we should take full advantage of the keto-friendly options.
On this occasion, we present a different and delicious way of preparing broccoli. The result is delicious and crunchy. It makes a great appetizer that you can use as an aperitif as well as an accompaniment to white or red meats.
Fried broccoli is also a great way to get kids to eat more vegetables. Our recipe calls for whey protein powder so that you get even some protein in your meal.
Most fried foods are coated in flour and then added to a fryer with vegetable oil. Our recipe uses heart-healthy olive oil in place of vegetable oil and whey protein powder instead of enriched white or wheat flour.
These healthy swaps can help you reduce inflammation, which helps prevent the onset of many chronic diseases. Reducing inflammation in the body also helps improve your digestion, immune system, and brain health.
Broccoli is a super food that has been shown to contain a compound known as sulforaphane that helps protect against cancer by stopping the growth and spreading of tumor cells. Other calciferous vegetables such as kale, cabbage, and cauliflower also contain this same anti-cancer compound.
The whey protein included in this recipe will help fulfill your protein requirements. Also, the healthy fat from the olive oil that you will be using for frying, will help your body absorb the flavonoids and antioxidants in broccoli. It also helps give the broccoli a satisfying crunch that will appease even the pickiest vegetable eater!
Prepare the ingredients.
Start by washing the broccoli and breaking it into small pieces. You can soften the broccoli before frying it by putting it in the microwave for about five minutes. Remove from microwave and drain the excess moisture from the broccoli.
Beat the eggs, salt and pepper in a bowl. Add the broccoli pieces to the egg mixture and use a spoon to make sure they are well coated.
Put the protein powder in a plastic container with a lid. Add the broccoli to the container, close the lid, and shake to coat all pieces of broccoli with the protein powder.
Fry the broccoli in enough olive oil so that all pieces are submerged.
Remove from oil when they are golden brown and serve with meat or enjoy as is.
Keto Fried Broccoli
- Thoroughly wash the broccoli under running water and separate into florets or small stems. Cut the thickest part of the stem and discard.
- If you like tender broccoli, place all the pieces of broccoli in a bowl and microwave it for five minutes in the "cooking" option. Remove from microwave and drain off the excess water.
- Beat the eggs and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix the broccoli pieces with the egg mixture. Stir with a spoon until all the pieces are covered with egg.
- Put the protein powder in a container with a lid and put broccoli florets in. Cover the container and shake until all the pieces are covered with whey protein.
- Fry in oil over medium heat until golden brown.
- Serve with sour cream or any keto-friendly sauce as a companion.