Who doesn’t love food-on-sticks? They’re not only convenient, but also super easy to prepare. Burgers are one of those dishes that effortlessly fit into the keto diet.
In this recipe, we’ll be mixing familiar ingredients that we love into a bite-sized savoury treat. Serve these low carb juicy meatballs in family gatherings, parties, or even as a side dish for dinner.
You can use keto-friendly bread or even bake your own, but we don’t need those extra carbs so we ditched the bun and went for a bunless-burger to enjoy the delicious taste of real foods.
Obviously, the ground beef is the star of the show in burgers, especially if you’re going with a bun-less one like ours. How disappointing is the feeling of biting into a dry flavorless patty? Well, the juicier the meat, the better! So try to select the best ground beef quality your budget allows, if you can afford kobe or grass-fed beef, then it’s awesome!
Moving into the next key element which is the seasoning, and this is more of a personal preference. Some people like to keep it simple and stick to salt and pepper. Others like to take it to another level, so feel free to go as exotic as your tastes allow!
In our recipe we used the marinara sauce, but other popular ones include Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard and chilli sauce.
You can certainly have your burger as is, but for an extra dose of nutrients and a nice crunch to complement the juicy texture of the beef, add some veggies into the burger or serve with a hearty salad on the side.
Although there are too many selections for a fancy burger, we want you to get the basic patty perfected first. Let’s do this!
Prepare the ingredients and preheat the oven at 180 ºC / 350 ºF.
Mix beef, egg, onion, almond flour, chopped bell pepper, sauce, spices and seasonings.
Using your hands, shape them into small balls. Place them on the baking tray.
Add bacon on top and bake for 20 minutes until cooked.
Once the meat is cooked, remove form oven. While they’re still hot, add a small piece of cheddar cheese on top to melt. Place a piece of vegetable on each ball and secure with toothpicks! You can serve this as it is, or you can bake again in oven for a few more minutes to cook the veggies.
Keto Bacon Burger Bites
For meat balls
- Pre-heat the oven at 180 ºC / 350 ºF and prepare a baking tray to cook and cover it with baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix ground beef with egg, onion and coriander powder, marinara sauce, chopped green & red bell pepper, onion, almond flour, and season with salt and pepper. Knead vigorously until reaching a firm consistency mix.
- Use your hand and a spoon to shape into 16 balls. If it's sticky, you might want to grease your hand with some olive oil.
- Cover each ball with a small piece of bacon on top or you can wrap bacon around the meat balls if you want. Place these meat balls in an orderly way on the baking tray and bake for 20 minutes until cooked.
- Once the meat is cook, remove from the oven and while they are still hot, place a piece of cheddar cheese on top of each ball.
- After that, place a piece of vegetable such as asparagus, red onion, red bell pepper and green bell pepper on each burger bite and secure with toothpicks. You can bake it again in the oven for 5 more minutes so the veggies can be cooked, or you can also serve it as it is. Enjoy!