The enchilada is a dish that is made in Mexico with corn tortilla bathed in a spicy sauce using chili in its preparation. Depending on the style, the enchilada can be accompanied or stuffed with meats-chicken, turkey, beef or cheese.
In addition to being accompanied by some additional garnish, the dish usually consists of fresh onion or sliced, lettuce, cream and cheese.
On Keto, we cannot eat corn, but this enchilada bowl option is delicious. Believe us, you will not miss the corn tortilla.
This recipe is loaded with healthy fats from the sour cream, avocado, and chicken. It also contains a good amount of fiber. One cup contains 4.4 grams of net carbs, which makes this a perfect keto meal that will fill you up all day long.
Avocado is a staple on the keto diet because of its healthy fat content, but it’s also a great source of other nutrients. Research shows that avocado helps promote healthy blood lipid profiles and helps you absorb fat-soluble vitamins from other foods. It can also be used to help promote healthy aging, weight loss, and blood sugar control (1).
You can spice up this dish by keeping the seeds of the jalapeno intact. If you don’t like a spicy dish, then you can remove them.
Be careful when picking out a taco seasoning packet at the grocery store. Most brands contain added sugar, MSG, and other preservatives that you will want to keep out of your diet.
You can make your own taco seasoning packet at home by adding your favorite spices to a dish and combining them with a spoon. This is a good way to make sure brown sugar and MSG don’t end up in your dish!
You’ll also want to make the chicken ahead of time to save time when preparing this dish. You can cook it in the oven and shred it with two forks.
To make, start by removing the cauliflower stem and cutting it into small pieces. Boil the small chunks of cauliflower in a large pot with salt for about 10 minutes or until soft. Drain the water and set the cauliflower aside.
Next, slice the avocado, remove the pit and chop the avocado into pieces. Set aside. Wash the jalapenos and remove the seeds (or keep them intact if you like heat).
Make the sauce by combining the spicy enchilada green sauce, taco seasoning and sour cream.
Add all ingredients to a bowl and top with the sauce. Mix well and serve immediately. Add more cheese if desired.
Keto Chicken Enchilada Bowl
- 1 cup shredded chicken cooked
- ¼ cup green enchilada sauce
- ¼ cup red onion chopped
- 4 jalapenos optional
- 1 cauliflower medium
- 1 avocado small
- 1 tsp taco seasoning
- ¼ cup sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese shredded for topping, optional
- Wash the cauliflower, remove the large stem and cut into small pieces. Put in a medium pot with enough water and salt and boil for about ten minutes or until cauliflower is tender. Drain the water and reserve.
- Peel and chop the avocado into pieces.
- Wash the jalapenos, remove the seeds, cut them into slices. If you love spicy flavor, leave the seeds.
- Prepare the sauce for the enchilada by mixing the spicy green enchilada sauce, sour cream and taco seasoning.
- Combine all the ingredients in a salad bowl, mix well and serve. You can sprinkle a little more yellow cheese and sour cream as well as cheese if desired.