This recipe is traditionally prepared with puff pastry, which contains too many carbs for a low-carb diet. It’s also highly inflammatory. But thanks to its small size, it attracts the attention of children and adults.
On this occasion, we are going to prepare pigs in a blanket with a delicious mozzarella cheese dough and almond flour to make it fit into your low-carb diet. It is a delicious snack to serve at a super bowl party or even as an appetizer before dinner on an everyday week night.
Our puff pastry dough is made with almond flour, egg and cheese. It’s still as flaky and delicious as the traditional dough but without the carbs!
It’s very easy to make your own dough using this recipe. You’ll need to combine all ingredients and let the dough cool (from the melted cheese) before rolling it out. Then you can add the sausages.
Almond flour is low in carbs and high in good fats and fiber. It also has a great nutty flavor and pairs well with cheese.
Be careful when buying mini pork hot dog sausages or “smokies” as they are commonly referred to. Most store-bought brands are full of sugar and preservatives.
Look for a brand of pork that is free from antibiotics, hormones, and added sugar. Many brands of smokies also contain nitrates from the smoky flavor. Be sure to buy a brand without these, also.
It’s harder to find clean sources of mini sausages than it is regular sized. If you can’t find a brand of mini sausages that you like, then buy regular sized sausages and cut them into four inch pieces.
You can eat these pigs in a blanket as is or dip in your favorite low-carb dip cheese dip. These would pair well with spinach and bacon dip!
Start by making the dough. Grate the mozzarella cheese and heat for about 30 seconds in the microwave until it’s melted.
Mix the melted mozzarella cheese with the cream cheese, egg and almond flour. Mix the dough and let it cool off before rolling it out.
Cut the dough into strips with a sharp knife and roll a sausage into each strip.
Add sausages to a baking sheet with parchment paper and bake for 15 minutes at 300 degrees or until the dough is slightly browned.
Serve with cheese dip or mustard.
Keto Pigs In A Blanket
- Preheat the oven to 300F.
- Grate the mozzarella cheese and put it in the microwave for 30 seconds until it is melted.
- Very quickly, mix the melted mozzarella cheese with the cream cheese, almond flour and egg.
- This dough should be lukewarm. When cooled, it can become very hard and difficult to mold. Integrate all the ingredients, form a ball and spread the dough on a flat and clean surface. (If you have waxed paper, you can use it to remove the dough without breaking it).
- Cut dough strips with a knife and roll each hot dog with a dough ribbon.
- Put the hot dog on a baking sheet with waxed paper and bake for 15 to 20 minutes at most or until the dough is well browned.
- You can accompany these delicious sausages with ketchup without sugar or with mustard.