Christmas will be here before you know it and you know what that means! Family dinners are typical. They are usually late at night and it is important to have snacks to share.
Being on the keto diet does not mean forgetting all the typical delicacies of this date. The traditional Christmas balls are absolutely keto. Enjoy this recipe as a family!
Cheese balls are generally safe to eat on a keto diet, but sometimes they contain hidden ingredients that aren’t low-carb. Our cheese ball contains a blend of cheeses, bacon, lemon juice, and coconut aminos sauce.
The coconut aminos sauce adds great flavor to the cheese ball. You can use soy sauce if you’re not doing strict keto. Mayonaisse is also a good choice of sauce for this recipe.
Lemons contain naturally detoxifying properties that have been shown to help fight chronic diseases. They are high in vitamin C, which is an antioxidant that moves free radical toxins out of the body.
Vitamin C is also needed to stimulate the production of collagen, which is the most abundant protein in your body. Collagen is needed for the maintenance of healthy skin, nails and hair.
It also helps repair and restore damaged cells and tissues. Many people take it for joint health.
The garlic also aids to the nutritional profile of our cheese ball. Garlic contains antibacterial and antimicrobial properties to help fight the common cold.
Our ball also contains pecans, which are high in good fats, vitamin E and fiber. Plus, it gives the cheese ball a nice nutty crunch.
You can add more heat if you like a spicy cheese ball. Make sure the bacon you add is free from hormones, antibiotics, added sugar and nitrates.
To make, start by grating the cheese. Wash peppers and cut into small pieces. Also chop the pecans into small pieces.
Cook bacon as desired. You can either cook it on the stovetop or bake it in the oven. Cool the bacon and then chop it into small pieces.
Mix together the cream cheese, lemon juice, cheddar cheese, coconut aminos (or soy sauce if not strict keto), and garlic in a bowl. Transfer to the refrigerator for at least two hours until this mixture firms up.
Separate the red pepper, jalapeno, the chopped walnuts and the bacon between four plates.
Use your hands to form 6-8 balls with the cheese mixture and roll them over the plates until they are covered in all of the toppings.
Put the cheese balls back into the refrigerator for one more hour and serve cold with your favorite low-carb crackers or veggie sticks.
Keto Traditional Christmas Cheese Balls
- Prepare the ingredients to make the Christmas cheese balls: grate the cheddar cheese, wash the pepper and jalapeno and cut very small. Chop the nuts very small. Mince the garlic.
- Place the bacon on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes at 350F until well roasted. When the bacon is at room temperature, chop with a knife into small pieces.
- Mix cream cheese, cheddar cheese, lemon juice, crushed garlic and coconut aminos sauce (or mayo if you prefer) in a bowl. Stir well with a spoon until the ingredients are well integrated.
- Refrigerate this cheese mixture for at least two hours until it is firm.
- Spread the finely chopped red bell pepper, jalapeno, walnuts and crispy bacon bits on four flat plates.
- Take the cheese mixture bowl from the fridge out. Form 8 small spheres using your hand and a spoon until they are about the size of a peach and roll them over the plates respectively until they are all covered. Refrigerate for one more hour and enjoy.