Chinese food is one of the dishes we can’t resist. Today’s dish keto orange chicken is flavorful and made with ingredients that are low in carbohydrates.
There is something special when the salty and sweet taste is combined into one dish. We didn’t want to give up on this fantastic kitchen because a low carb diet has substitutes for everything. You only need some curiosity.
This recipe will show you that a low-carb version of Chinese food can still taste good at the end if you are a Chinese food lover.
You’ll probably be shocked by the sugar amount in the original orange chicken recipe. Since we don’t need unnecessary calories, the sugar-free orange marmalade is the perfect replacement. If you’re strict keto, use orange extract for this dish instead.
You can make your own marmalade by boiling orange juice, orange peel and sugar-free sweetener until you achieve a desired consistency.
The key to the recipe is the flavor of smoked paprika. I saw the spice on the counter and questioned myself what will happen if I add some into the meal. Wow, it’s pretty good!
This dish can be served with some green veggies, or you can eat it just as it is. Whatever you choose, you’ll experience the ambiance of a Chinese restaurant. And if all your family members don’t want to go out to eat orange chicken or any keto dishes at Panda Express, you have your secret recipe ready to become the hero of the night.
Heat olive oil in a pan then add garlic in. Once the garlic starts to smell good, add chicken in and cook just until it begins to brown. Add salt and pepper to taste. Once done, set aside.
Make the orange sauce in the same pan or use a different saucepan. Melt the butter first on medium to low heat. Combine sugar-free orange marmalade, chicken broth, smoked paprika, and salt. Add in xanthan gum and mix everything with a spatula.
When the sauce begins to bubble and thicken, add in the cooked chicken back in and cook for a few more minutes on low heat. If needed, add one teaspoon of xanthan gum to thicken the sauce.
Top with toasted sesame seeds and enjoy! This dish goes well with riced cauliflower or steamed low-carb vegetables.
Keto Orange Chicken
- 2 cups chicken breast raw, cut into cubes
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp olive oil for frying
For the sauce
- 1 tsp sesame seeds toasted
- Heat olive oil in a pan. Add garlic and chicken in and bake for a while. Season with salt and pepper. Once the chicken is cooked, transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Make the sauce in the same pan. Melt butter first then combine the remaining ingredients for sauce and mix well with a spatula.
- When the sauce begins to bubble, mix in cooked chicken. Cook for 5 minutes more. Transfer to a serving plate and top with toasted sesame seeds. Serve with steamed vegetables or cauliflower rice. Enjoy!
More Keto Chicken Recipes You Can Try: