Are you trying to stay away from potatoes but still craving a loaded cheesy side dish? Then this low-carb staple is a must-try. You can prepare loaded casseroles with different crunchy vegetables, but we chose the cauliflower as it makes a great base, and it is incredibly nutritious and low-carb.
The combination of cauliflower, bacon, cheese with veggies makes this casserole loaded with great health benefits. You can increase the daily amount of Calcium intake by consuming cheese. Calcium helps keep your bones and teeth in a good and healthy condition; if you can get your hands on grass-fed cheese, then it would be perfect, you will be benefiting from extra omega-3 and CLA while avoiding harmful additives. (1,2,3)
We try to incorporate cauliflower as much as possible in our recipes because it is a powerhouse food that has a lot of nutrients. It is rich in vitamin K and vitamin C, which strengthens and maintains bone density. Also, a study has shown that folate can help lower the risk of cardiovascular disease and strokes, and cauliflower is a great source for folate. (4)
Our keto loaded cauliflower casserole is super versatile, and you can get as creative as you wish to switch up some ingredients for your preference. For a guiltless creamier recipe, you can add some sour cream.
You can also choose whichever type of cheese you like, for example, mozzarella and Parmesan goes well with the ingredients. For seasoning, you might want to add some chives. You can go for an extra garlic-y flavor by adding garlic powder along with the fresh ones.
If you have never tried cauliflower or had a negative feeling about it, give this recipe a try, and you will see, cauliflower will be your new favorite veggie and best friend. So grab a head of cauliflower, a cheese blend, some vegetables, and give this tasty dish a try!
Prepare the ingredients of the recipe while you preheat your oven at 180 ºC or 350F.
Wash the cauliflower thoroughly and cut it into small florets. Cook the chopped bacon for about 3 minutes in a pan over medium heat. Once the bacon starts releasing fat, add green onion, common onion, coriander powder, and garlic. Stir well.
As the onion gets cooked and turns translucent, get the cheese and cauliflower ready.
Next, add the cauliflower pieces into the pan and stir-fry to cook it.
Then add the cream cheese, season with salt and pepper, and stir well to form a homogeneous mixture.Transfer to a baking casserole dish then top with cheddar cheese. Bake in the oven for 5-10 minutes to melt the cheese or until the cheese becomes golden. Serve and enjoy!
Keto Loaded Cauliflower Casserole
- 1 cauliflower medium, cut into pieces
- 4 slices bacon cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup onion thinly cut
- 1 tbsp green onions finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- ½ cup cheddar cheese grated
- ½ cup cream cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven at 180 ºC or 350F.
- Wash the cauliflower thoroughly with running water, remove the dirt and any bug that might have. Cut into small pieces, no more than one centimeter long.
- In a non-sticking pan over medium heat, add the bacon pieces in and stir occasionally.
- When the bacon starts to release the fat (after 3 minutes or so), add chopped onion, green onion, coriander powder, salt, pepper and minced garlic. Sauté until the onions become tender and translucent.
- Add cauliflower into the pan and stir-fry to cook the cauliflower.
- Finally, add cream cheese in and mix well.
- Transfer to a baking dish and top with cheddar cheese. Bake for 10 minutes to melt the cheese and serve.