Nothing beats the American classic fried chicken wings when done right. The crunchy breading coating the perfectly cooked juicy-inside chicken is just as satisfying as it gets.
Too bad, if you are on a keto diet, you will need to give it up the breaded chicken wings. But that doesn’t rule out the possibility of enjoying some delicious keto fried chicken.
Today we will provide you with a mouthwatering alternative. This keto fried chicken wings version not only gets crunchy and golden brown just as the classic recipe, but it also very easy to follow.
The problem with the classic fried chicken is that the ingredients of the breading contain white flour, and maybe some cornmeal, which are non-keto friendly. With a few keto substitutions made, this recipe comes handy.
We replaced white flour with coconut flour and spiced up our recipe with paprika, which contains capsaicin. Capsaicin is known to boost your immune system to defend autoimmune diseases. (1)
The peppers used promotes proper metabolism and may help in reducing inflammation resulting from weight gain. (2, 3)
In this particular recipe, we use whole chicken wings, and we deep fry them after marinating for an hour. Alternatively, you can bake or grill it using the same marinade we use for this recipe. To make it juicy and saucy, you can add extra sauce and mix it with the wings after you finish cooking.
Prepare the ingredients of the recipe.
Mix all the herbs and spices together to marinate the wings.
Marinate the chicken wings with the mixed spices and place it in the fridge for an hour.
Deep fry them in oil for 10-15 minutes until they’re golden. You can use coconut oil or lard to fry too.
As soon as they turn brown on the sides, remove them from oil, and serve on a platter.
Keto Fried Chicken Wings
- 12 chicken wings whole wings
- 4 cloves garlic peeled
- 50 ml hot sauce
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tbsp celery salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili pepper
- 1 pinch Stevia optional
- 2 tbsp coconut flour for coating, optional
- olive oil for frying
- Smash together the paprika, pepper, garlic, salt, hot pepper, hot sauce, and vinegar, sweetener, and lemon juice with a mortar.
- Marinate the chicken wings with mixed spices. Chill in the fridge for an hour while flipping the wings occasionally.
- Transfer the wings to a plate and coat with coconut flour all over to cover the entire sides. This is an optional step. If you don't want to 'bread' your wings, simply just fry the marinated wings.
- If you use a deep fryer, pour the oil in a deep fryer and set at 375°F. Deep fry the chicken until it's cooked and golden. If you're using a regular frying pan, add oil in and cook over medium heat. Brown the wings in the oil for around 10-15 minutes until golden.
- Remove from the heat once the wings turn brown on the sides. Serve on a platter.
- Note: To accompany the chicken wings, you can serve with finely chopped white cabbage, purple cabbage, and onion and mix with mayonnaise, mustard, salt, and vinegar to taste.