Stuffed chiles is a Mexican dish that consists of whole pieces of chili, either roasted directly in the fire or wrapped in a layer of beaten eggs and baked. This is done after peeling and removing the seeds using a “comal” and filling them with food, usually meat.
If it sounds like too much work, don’t worry! We’ve got a simple recipe to help reduce the time of your prep work. In this case, we fill our food with a delicious mix of chicken with cream and cheese. It’s the perfect way to enjoy an authentic Mexican dish without ruining your low-carb diet.
Looking for more keto recipes and diet tips?
Fresh and Tasty Keto Bread
Join our newsletter today and we'll email you 10 easy and delicious keto bread recipes plus weekly keto recipes and diet hacks to help you achieve your goal faster!
This recipe is a great way to include low-carb veggies to your diet. Peppers are not only tasty, they are great when stuffed with your favourite ingredients as well.
Peppers contain unique antioxidants that reduce inflammation and help fight chronic disease. They are also a good source of vitamins A and C, depending on what color of peppers you buy.
Brushing the peppers with olive oil helps you absorb these anti-inflammatory nutrients due to the healthy fat content.
Peppers are also a great source of fiber, which help keep you full and slow down the blood sugar dumping process. This makes peppers a great food for anyone trying to lose weight or control diabetes.
They contain a large amount of water, so you’ll need to be careful when preparing them. Overcooking your peppers causes them to become soggy. It also kills off many of the heat-sensitive nutrients.
If you don’t have poblanos on hand, then you can use regular bell peppers but your dish won’t be as authentic! Look for organic chicken that was raised without antibiotics. The same goes for your cheese. You want your dairy to come from clean sources that are grass-fed.
For preparation, wash the peppers, dry them, and rub with olive oil and salt.
Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes at 300 degrees until the skin starts to pull apart from the pepper.
While the peppers are cooking, add the chicken, tomato paste, sour cream, chives, cheddar cheese, and coriander to a bowl.
Mix the ingredients together. Set aside.
Take the peppers out of the oven and gently remove the skin using a fork or your hands. Cut the peppers in half and remove the seeds.
Fill the inside of each pepper half with the chicken and cheese mixture.
Bake for another 25 minutes. Serve hot!
Keto Cheesy Chicken Stuffed Poblanos
- Preheat the oven to 300F. Wash the peppers very well and dry them. Rub the peppers with salt and olive oil. Put the poblanos on a baking sheet and cook on each side for at least 15 minutes. The idea is to remove the skin of the pepper.
- Meanwhile, put the chicken, tomato paste, sour cream, chives, cheddar cheese and coriander into a mixing bowl. Stir with a spoon until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Remove the peppers from the oven when they are still warm and put them on a kitchen cloth. Rub them until you have removed all the skin of the pepper. You can do it with the help of your hands or a fork. Be careful not to break them.
- When you have removed the skin, with a sharp knife, open a segment of the pepper and extract all the seeds. They are ready to fill.
- Put the filling inside the peppers with a spoon, sprinkle with a little Parmesan cheese (this step is optional). Bake for 25 minutes or until the cheese is browned.