The Stroganoff is an original dish of Russian cuisine from the late nineteenth century; possibly, the name is an adaptation of the surname Stroganov. This dish is often prepared with beef, although more recently some versions with chicken breast have become popular.
This delicacy of meat and cream is a world cuisine that adapts very well to the ketogenic diet. Do not hesitate to try it and put your own spin on it as long as you keep it low-carb!
Traditional beef stroganoff is usually served with some kind of starchy side, such as pasta noodles. You can easily make this a low-carb dish by using zucchini noodles instead of regular noodles.
We recommend going with organic or grass-fed beef that has not been treated with antibiotics, hormones and other preservatives. Research shows that grass-fed animal products contain higher levels of certain nutrients, such as omega 3 fatty acids, precursors to some vitamins, and antioxidants.
This recipe also allows you to sneak some low-carb vegetables and anti-inflammatory spices in your diet. Mushrooms are a good source of B vitamins and eight different minerals.
Research shows that mushrooms may help improve weight management, oral health, cognition, and the risk of cancer. Mushrooms also help improve the immune system by reducing inflammation and interacting with the gut microbiota in a positive way (1).
Ths recipe also calls for meat broth. We recommend that you use a high-quality bone broth. This allows you to get some collagen in your diet, which is the most abundant protein in your body. It helps with gut and joint health and gives you healthy looking hair, skin and nails.
Bone broth is also a good source of several vitamins and minerals. Look for a bone broth that come from grass-fed cows. You can also use organic chicken broth if that’s what you have available.
To make, prepare the ingredients.
Start by cutting the meat into small pieces, washing and chopping the mushrooms, and chopping the garlic. Season the meat with salt, pepper and garlic, and allow it to sit for about 20 minutes before cooking.
Cook the meat in a stovetop pan with olive oil until brown. Add the onion in and cook until the onions are soft.
Then add the broth, sour cream and mustard. Stir, cover and cook for about 15 minutes on low heat.
Add pickles and mushrooms and allow them to cook until soft. Season with additional spices and serve with low-carb veggies.
Keto Beef Stroganoff
- 1 lb beef tenderloin minced in small squares
- 2 cloves garlic
- Salt and Pepper grains, to taste
- 1 onion medium, chopped into squares
- 1½ cup mushrooms slices
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 ½ tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp pickles
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp tarragon optional
- 2 tbsp parsley chopped (optional)
- Cut the meat fillet into strips of equal size, a finger thick and about 3 cm or 1 inch long.
- Clean the mushrooms with water and cut it into small slices.
- In a mortar, crush the garlic with the peppercorns and salt. Marinate the meat with this mixture and leave to sit for about 20 minutes (optional).
- In a very hot pan, add olive oil in and saute the meat until golden brown. Add onion in and stir it around until cooked. By doing this, we seal it and make the meat tender inside.
- Add bone broth, mustard and sour cream. Stir gently and simmer with the lid on for about 15 minutes.
- Finally, add sliced mushrooms and the pickles. Mix well and cook a couple of minutes to achieve the desired texture and flavor.
- Remove from heat. Top with tarragon and parsley. You can accompany this dish with cauliflower rice or zucchini pasta.