Zucchini noodles carbonara is a keto version of the Italian cuisine staple, spaghetti carbonara dish. This recipe combines one of our favorite flavor profiles of bacon, eggs, Parmesan cheese, and black pepper. It is a low carb style, super easy and we promise you won’t miss the starchy pasta.
Since starchy pasta is out of the game, zucchini noodles are a great alternative. The combination of zoodles with the extra creamy sauce of the carbonara is mind-blowing. You’ll be surprised at how good the texture of the noodles will hold on to the sauce. Use a spiralizer to cut the zucchini into noodle-like strips, if it’s not available, then go ahead and use a regular vegetable peeler instead.
Looking for more keto recipes and diet tips?
Fresh and Tasty Keto Bread
Join our newsletter today and we'll email you 10 easy and delicious keto bread recipes plus weekly keto recipes and diet hacks to help you achieve your goal faster!
The key factor for the success of zoodles is by getting all the excess water out. To prevent the zoodles from getting soggy in your carbonara sauce, sprinkle a tiny amount of salt to dry out the water in zucchini and then, press them on a paper towel and let sit for about 10 minutes to drain.
No need to worry about cracking some eggs into your noodles, by the time you’re done prepping this dish, they’ll be fully cooked. Most of the recipes we provide you with can be altered to your preferences, for instance, you can add some chicken for an extra protein in your day, or use smoked bacon instead of the regular one, it will give a completely different flavor to the dish. Also, if you love to incorporate garlic, especially in Italian style meals, then feel free to, it will turn out just amazing.
This is such an easy meal that takes less than 20 minutes to get ready, extra creamy, and loaded with rich flavors that you won’t mind the make-believe noodles. We advise you to store any unconsumed carbonara sauce in the fridge for the next day and not having it much longer.
Prepare the ingredients of the recipe.
Wash the zucchini thoroughly, cut them into noodle-like strips using a spiralizer. If you do not have one, you can always use a vegetable peeler, a julienne peeler or a mandolin slicer.
Miz the zucchini noodles with salt and let it sit for 15-20 minutes then squeeze out the liquid gently.
Meanwhile, cut the bacon into small pieces and fry in a pan with butter until golden. Add minced garlic in for extra flavor.
Add the sour cream, heavy cream, cheese, eggs, and salt and pepper in a bowl and stir gently. Pour this mixture into the pan with bacon.
Bring the liquid to boil then add zucchini noodles in.Stir gently to cook the zucchini pasta but do not overcook it.
Remove from heat and add a little more Parmesan cheese on top and serve warm!
Keto Zucchini Carbonara
- Clean the zucchini very thoroughly, remove any damage on the skin with the help of a sharp knife. Make the zucchini spaghetti with the help of a spiralizer. Mix zucchini noodles with a little bit of salt then place it into a colander over the sink. After 15 minutes, gently squeeze it to get rid of as much moisture as possible.
- In the meantime, prepare the carbonara sauce. Mix heavy cream, sour cream, Parmesan and egg in a bowl. Set a side.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, add butter in then add bacon to fry until golden brown. Add minced garlic in and stir. The reason we didn't add garlic in early is because it might get burnt by the time the bacon is cooked.
- Add carbonara sauce in and stir until you have a creamy mixture and bring to boil.
- Add the zucchini pasta in and cook for 1-2 minutes. Do not overcook. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and serve with some Parmesan cheese on top.